If you’ve noticed that your facial hair isn’t exactly matching the rest of your hair, you’ve probably got questions. One of the main questions you’ll want the answer to is: why does some facial hair grow blonde?
Facial hair that is blonde has a higher concentration of pheomelanin, which, according to an article by SienceDirect, is a type of melanin pigment which is thinner and longer than other melanin cells. It can also be caused by overexposure to sunlight, other chemicals, or even changes in diet and vitamin consumption.
In this article, we’ll go into more detail on why some facial hair, like mustache hairs, grow blonde. We’ll also cover why your mustache might be turning white, and how to get rid of these colorations if you want to!
Why Does Some Facial Hair Grow Blonde?
There are a number of contributing factors to why some of your facial hair is turning blonde. These are listed below:
- An Increase in Pheomelanin – Pheomelanin is the lighter pigment produced in hair follicles. If your beard or mustache used to be brown or black, but is lightening, then pheomelanin is to blame. It can be increased by a natural side effect of your genetics.
- Sun Bleaching – The sun can naturally bleach any hair, including facial hair, until it appears blonde. This might sound odd, because we’re used to seeing sunlight darken skin. However, while skin is alive, all hair is technically dead by the time it is visible to us, and dead hair responds to ultraviolet light by turning lighter and lighter in color.
- Stress – Studies have shown that norepinephrine is a chemical which can actually change melanocyte cells, which are responsible for your hair color. Since norepinephrine is produced in the brain as a response to stress, it could be to blame when your facial hair turns blonde!
- Chemical Interference – Foods that are full of antioxidants can help hair to grow in normally and healthily, producing lots of melanin. However, if greens, beans, and other foods full of vitamins C, E, and A aren’t in your diet, it could be the reason behind your hair producing less melanin.
In summary, the chemicals in your body, whether affected by outside sources like diet and sunlight, or inside sources like stress, are to blame for your facial hair changing color!
Why Are My Mustache Hairs Blonde?
If you’re noticing that your mustache hairs, in particular, are turning blonde, while perhaps your beard or eyebrows are unchanged, it might seem odd. However, once you realize that your face can produce different combinations of colors depending on the location of the hair follicle, some of your confusion may begin to clear up.
If your ancestors, for example, passed down some of their blonde genes, that genetic material may only be concentrated in the follicles of your mustache. This is according to an article written by Men’s Health, which states that every hair follicle has a little something different in it, and this variance usually happens in the face.
Why Do I Have White Hair On My Mustache?
Blonde hair is one thing, but if you’re noticing completely white hairs entering the color scheme of your mustache, it can be a little alarming.
Any color in any of your hair follicles is thanks to the production of melanin, the color-producing material in your hair. However, if you’re stressed, have a vitamin deficiency, or are simply getting older, it shouldn’t be surprising to find that your follicles are no longer producing that melanin and your hair is growing in white as snow!
How Do I Get Rid Of My Blonde Mustache?
If you’d like to erase all signs of your blonde hairs in the mustache, it is doable! In fact, here is a list of ways to get rid of your blonde mustache:
- Dye the Mustache – This one might be the most readily-available way to get rid of those pesky blonde hairs: not by removing them, but by covering their natural pigment in dye! There are a variety of facial hair colorings on the market, and usually only require a minimum of five minutes to be effective.
- Remove the Hair – If you don’t want to deal with dyeing your mustache hairs, you could simply get rid of the mustache altogether. If you’re willing to part with it, this can be done using a hot, strip variety of wax, which pulls all of the mustache out right down to the root of the follicle.
- Give it Time – If your mustache grows in naturally blonde and is not the result of a vitamin deficiency or lifestyle, like staying out in the sun too long, simply give it time. Most hair follicles that start out blonde begin producing darker melanin cells over the years, depending on genetics.
- Eat More Antioxidant Foods – Remember that your hair needs certain vitamins and antioxidants to produce the melanin that darkens it. Consider eating carrots and fish to increase vitamin A, green veggies and berries to increase Vitamin C, and healthy grains and nuts to boost your Vitamin E.
- Eat Less Oxidants – In balancing your diet, consider eating less oxidant-heavy foods. These can be found mostly in processed foods. A processed food is food that has been packaged and added to by sugars, salts, and oils. These include cheese, bread, and all fast food. Eat less of these things to balance your hair color in the long run.
In summary, if you notice that your facial hair is coming in blonde or even white, it could be the natural distribution of melanin in your face, or it could be the result of something you’re doing. If you don’t want your facial hair to come in blonde, make sure you’re not staying out in the sun, are avoiding stress, and are not suffering from any vitamin deficiencies.
If your blonde hair persists, one of the best options is to simply wait until your follicles produce darker colors. However, if you don’t want to wait, remember that you can always defy genetics and stress by dyeing your mustache or shaving it clean off!
- Why Is My Beard Only Growing Under My Chin?
- Can I Use Beard Oil on My Head Hair?
- What Happens if You Shave with a Rusty Razor?
- What Happens If You Don’t Use Aftershave?
Here at FullPersonalCare.com our main goal is to help you in your personal care and solve all the question you could have about any of the accessories you will normally use to take care of yourself.